"The most significant threat to our national security is our debt," Admiral Michael Mullen, Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, August 27, 2010


Thursday, September 24, 2015

In his own words - Lawrence Peter (Yogi) Berra (1925 - 2015)


·         When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

·         You can observe a lot by just watching.

·         It ain’t over till it’s over

·         It’s like déjà vu all over again.

·         No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded.

·         Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.

·         A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.

·         Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours.

·         We made too many wrong mistakes.

·         Congratulations. I knew the record would stand until it was broken.

·         You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I’m not hungry enough to eat six.

·         You wouldn’t have won if we’d beaten you.

·         I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.

·         Never answer an anonymous letter.

·         Slump? I ain’t in no slump… I just ain’t hitting.

·         How can you think and hit at the same time?

·         The future ain’t what it used to be.

·         I tell the kids, somebody’s gotta win, somebody’s gotta lose. Just don’t fight about it. Just try to get better.

·         It gets late early out here.

·         If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.

·         We have deep depth.

·         Pair up in threes.

·         Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.

·         You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there.

·         All pitchers are liars or crybabies

·         Even Napoleon had his Watergate.

·         Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.

·         He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.

·         It was impossible to get a conversation going, everybody was talking too much.

·         I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won twenty-five games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.

·         I don’t know (if they were men or women fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.

·         I’m a lucky guy and I’m happy to be with the Yankees. And I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.

·         I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.

·         In baseball, you don’t know nothing.

·         I never blame myself when I’m not hitting. I just blame the bat and if it keeps up, I change bats. After all, if I know it isn’t my fault that I’m not hitting, how can I get mad at myself?

·         I never said most of the things I said.

·         It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.

·         If you ask me anything I don’t know, I’m not going to answer.

·         I wish everybody had the drive he (Joe DiMaggio) had. He never did anything wrong on the field. I’d never seen him dive for a ball, everything was a chest-high catch, and he never walked off the field.

·         So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.

·         Take it with a grin of salt.

·         (On the 1973 Mets) We were overwhelming underdogs.

·         The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.

·         Little League baseball is a very good thing because it keeps the parents off the streets.

·         Mickey Mantle was a very good golfer, but we weren’t allowed to play golf during the season; only at spring training.

·         You don’t have to swing hard to hit a home run. If you got the timing, it’ll go.

·         I’m lucky. Usually you’re dead to get your own museum, but I’m still alive to see mine.

·         If I didn’t make it in baseball, I won’t have made it workin’. I didn’t like to work.

·         If the world were perfect, it wouldn’t be.

·         A lot of guys go, ‘Hey, Yog, say a Yogi-ism.’ I tell ’em, ‘I don’t know any.’ They want me to make one up. I don’t make ’em up. I don’t even know when I say it. They’re the truth. And it is the truth. I don’t know.

No comments: