One of America’s newest senators, Rand Paul, from the state of Kentucky, son of Texas congressman Ron Paul, both of whom are physicians, has just issued a very specific proposal to substantially reduce the spending of the US federal government. Here are some highlights (comments from TheFundamentals are italicized):
• Legislative branch spending cut 23% or $1.3 billion in FY2011. Government Printing Office closed.
• Judicial branch cut 32% or $2.4 billion; back to FY2008 levels.
• Department of Agriculture cut 30%; food stamp program back to FY2008 levels
• Department of Commerce cut 54%.
• Department of Defense cut 6.5%; savings of $48 billion. It’s a start. Did you know that the DOD has over 700,000 civilian employees???
• Department of Education cut 83%. Nothing to add; we recommend that it be eliminated. The performance of public schools under the direction of this department is America’s shame.
• Department of Energy eliminated. 100%. Long overdue step to sanity.
• Health and Human Services cut 26% but that disregards most of their expenditures in the social security and Medicare programs which they oversee.
• Homeland Security cut 43%. TSA should be privatized immediately. It is an outrageous example of the inability of the federal government to get a job done efficiently and effectively.
• Housing and Urban Development eliminated. 100%. Hallelujah!
• Interior cut 78%. We quote from the document: “The management of public lands and resources is best left up to the states.”
• Justice cut 28% or $9 billion. But what’s going to happen to those poor unemployed lawyers?
• Labor 2%. The extension of unemployment benefits is not addressed and it desperately needs to be cut.
• State cut 71%. It is time for Bill Gates and Warren Buffet to fund and manage America’s foreign aid programs. They are enamored with these “worthwhile” activities. The State Department does not need to replicate their programs.
• Transportation 49%. If Barack Obama or any other private citizens want to build a high speed rail network in the United States it is time to let them put their private funds where their public utterances are. We are anxious to see how much of their private funds will end up in these “investments.”
• EPA cut 29%.
• General Services Administration cut 85%.
• NASA cut 25%. We would recommend that it be suspended until Americas debt is repaid in full.
• Did you know that the federal government owns (which means it also must maintain) about 650,000 cars and trucks?
Read the entire proposed legislation at: http://www.randpaul2010.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/500Bcutsbill.pdf
Dr. Paul, the son, is to be commended for making this proposal. It will be interesting to see what his fellow party members do with it. Or his father for that matter. Do not be surprised if they run away from it. But here is a suggestion that might appeal to several of them; the ones who know they will need to seek real employment come November 2012 if they don’t stand up for some cessation of the promiscuous Washington spending. Go along with Obama’s proposal to raise the debt ceiling on the following terms:
1. The increase can not exceed $1 trillion, and
2. The increase is temporary; it expires on November 1, 2012, which means it is very much an issue in the 2012 congressional and presidential election, and
3. 50% of Senator Rand Paul’s cuts must be implemented immediately and realized during fiscal year 2011 and the remaining 50% must be implemented and realized during fiscal year 2012
One closing comment. We doubt that you will see much coverage given to this legislation from the so-called mainstream media. Will PBS cover it? Dr. Paul’s legislation eliminates all funding for PBS and its so-called parent, Corporation for Public Broadcasting!
Dr. Paul, TheFundamentals commends you for this bold and long overdue action.